Oxford Student's Multimedia Dictionary CD-ROM
English level: Intermediate to Upper-Intermediate
The perfect language-learning tool for intermediate students using English in their studies.
- The CD-ROM includes the new Oxford Student's Genie. Just point at a word with your cursor to see the meaning instantly and click to hear its pronunciation, whether you are browsing the Internet, reading an e-mail or using a word processor.
- The 3-D Search section helps students to explore meanings and learn related words and phrases. Teachers can edit the screen displays and print out mind maps for use in class.
- Spoken headwords provide a model for correct pronunciation, with real British and American voices recorded under the supervision of phoneticians.
- A record and compare feature helps students to perfect their own pronunciation.
- Video clips help to illustrate difficult concepts, such as the difference between scowl and frown.
- Animations with commentaries, transcripts and comprehension questions show processes such as longshore drift and the water cycle.
- The 'Extras' section includes useful study pages and exercises that teachers can print out and use in class.
- Over 700 interactive pictures help students learn vocabulary by revealing the names of all the objects in a picture. These images can be printed out and used as vocabulary exercises in class.
- It can be used effectively by students at home or in class, and by teachers to prepare classes. Used on a computer projector, t can be incorporated very successfully into whole-class activities.
- Based on the Oxford Student's Dictionary of English.
- Windows CD-Rom IBM PC or full compatible
- 133 MHz processor or above
- 32Mb RAM. 30Mb free on hard disk
- SVGA monitor (800 x 600 screen resolution capable of displaying thousands of colours)
- Windows-compatible 24x CD-ROM drive
- Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT
- Microsoft mouse or compatible
- Optional: Sound Blaster sound card or compatible
- Headphones or speakers. Microphone.